Earth Day Activities
Today is International Earth Day, a day dedicated to increasing awareness about environmental issues and broadening support for environmental programs. Since its inception in 1970, Earth Day has become the largest civic event in the world with over a billion people participating in Earth Day campaigns annually.
This Earth Day is an excellent excuse to take some time and think about how you can better appreciate Earth. Here are some suggestions to celebrate Earth Day and help make our world a better place:
- Donate unwanted or unused household items
- This eco-friendly way of eliminating clutter can kick-start your spring cleaning while providing local charities the means to make much-needed cash and helping others gain affordable necessities.
- Learn more about the environment
- Hit the library or go online and learn more about our amazing world, from recycling tips to jaw-dropping facts about underwater lakes. If you have children, this is a great opportunity to instill awe and respect for our world.
- Update your home
- Earth Day is the perfect time to take a critical look at ways to make your home more environmentally responsible. Consider switching to energy efficient LED light bulbs and make sure your fireplace is properly outfitted with dampers, doors, and fireplace inserts to reduce heat loss. Also take a good long look at your windows. By installing energy efficient replacement windows, you can create a more energy efficient home and save money on energy bills.
Visit A Billion Acts of Green to learn more information about Earth Day and what you can do to help improve your community and our earth. Visit our website to learn more information about Renewal by Andersen’s environmental commitment.
Happy Earth Day everyone!