5 Tips for National Window Safety Week
April 5-11 is National Window Safety Week. Andersen Corporation, and its subsidiary, Renewal by Andersen, is encouraging homeowners to familiarize themselves with ways to help prevent window-related accidents. As part of its LookOut For Kids® window safety program, Andersen is providing materials and tips to help educate consumers and caregivers.
“Windows and doors do more than provide views, sunlight and breezes. They can offer an important path to escaping a fire or emergency; yet left open, they can also be a potential fall hazard,” said Andersen Corporation Director Mark Mikkelson. ”As we open our windows to the fresh air, Andersen offers five simple safety tips that remind us all to look out for safety.”
Top 5 Tips for Window Safety
- Always close and lock windows and doors.
- For ventilation, open windows that children can’t reach. Children can quickly climb to window ledges and sills and fall.
- Don’t rely on insect screens to prevent falls. Insect screens are designed only to provide ventilation and keep bugs out.
- Consider installing window opening control devices or window guards*
- Position beds and other furniture away from windows. Don’t allow children to jump on beds.
If you’d like more information on window safety, download our LookOut for Kids® brochure. We also have a downloadable kids activity book to make learning about window safety fun for kids.